top of page
  • Writer's pictureHealthwatch Hampshire

Guidance if you need to make a complaint about a Social Care service

Making a complaint can feel scary and daunting, and you might be wondering if it's worth the time and effort. However, if you have problems with a Social Care service you need to resolve these to get the care you need.

Resources to help you make a complaint

We know that making a complaint about Social Care services can be confusing. Below you will find a range of information to support you if you need to make a complaint.

Please note that:

  • We do not ourselves have powers to investigate individual formal complaints about Social Care services.

  • We cannot make a complaint to a service on your behalf.

  • We are not able to offer financial or legal advice. That should always be sought from a trained specialist such as a solicitor or financial advisor.

I would like to make a complaint about a Social Care Service

Healthwatch is not responsible for investigating individual complaints.

If your complaint is about social care provided by the council (this could be a service that is delivered directly by them, or one commissioned by them from a private or voluntary organisation) then you should use the local authority complaints procedure.

Information about making a complaint can be found on the Hampshire County Council website here.


If you have concerns because you think that a child or adult is being abused or has been abused in the past, you need to report this. You can do this by contacting: Hampshire Adult Services on 0300 555 1386 (out of hours 0300 555 1373) or the police on 101.

Hampshire Children Services 0300 555 1384 (out-of-hours service 0300 555 1373. In an emergency, or if you suspect you or someone else is in immediate danger, phone 999.

Guidance and support for social care complaints

Making a complaint can seem complicated and daunting, but there are organisations who have the expertise to help you with the process.

Citizens Advice offer information and advice on a wide range of health and social care issues. You can contact them by email, telephone or visit your local office for in person advice. Their website is here.

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint is dealt with, you can raise this issue with the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman by clicking here.

Other ways to raise issues concerning a Social Care service.

Related Posts

See All


bottom of page