Hampshire Together is part of the Government’s plan to modernise NHS hospitals and has been given funding to develop a hospital in the North and Mid-Hampshire area. Hampshire Together is made up of the whole of the local NHS and is seeking the public’s views on the plans.
Some of the reasons for the proposed changes include:
- Ageing and growing population
- Existing healthcare buildings that are not fit for purpose
- Struggles to fully staff services split across several hospitals
The vision is to develop: A health, well-being and care service which will support people to access the right care, in the right place at the right time. This will be achieved by:
- Joined up care: primary care, mental health and hospital services need to work together. The current building set up is a barrier to this.
- Centralisation: most of the options under consideration involve moving key services all into one location as it can improve patient outcomes – but may result in more travel for some patients.
- Affordability: the current set up is costing more to deliver every year. Care needs to be delivered in an efficient and affordable way.
- Staff: attracting the best people means providing a workplace and environment that supports them to provide the very best care.
What has been done so far?
So far, the organisation has held a Listening Exercise which ran from June to August 2020 in which 1,718 people took part and shared their views. You can download the Listening Document and the resulting Analysis report produced here:
As Healthwatch Hampshire, we helped to ensure the views of seldom heard groups were included in the Listening Exercise by carrying out several virtual workshops on behalf of Hampshire Together. We spoke to people with disabilities, young carers and gender diverse people. Our report on their views can be found here:
What happens next?
The Listening Exercise produced some key themes which can be found in the engagement documents and these will be taken forward into consideration during the formal Public Consultation process which is due to begin in 2021.
You can find out more details about the consultation here: https://www.hampshiretogether.nhs.uk/
If you would like to share your views on the plans with Healthwatch Hampshire, you can find all the details about Hampshire Together and the proposals here:
You can also send in your views to us, which we will collate and pass on to Hampshire Together, via: