Urgent dental treatment

Whilst dentists have had to stop offering face-to-face in order to comply with the Governments social distancing requirement, all dentists (both NHS and private) can and should be offering phone advice, and be able to prescribe medication.

In the first instance you should contact your normal dentist. People who are not registered with a dentist should call 111 or https://111.nhs.uk/  

What happens when I call a dentist?  

Anybody contacting a dentist will go through a telephone triage assessment. The dentist will be able to offer; advice, prescription for pain relief or treatment of infections. There is no charge for the triage call, but any prescriptions will be charged in the normal way.  

If the dentist decides you need a face-to-face appointment, this may be at another location and at one of the Hampshire Urgent Dental Care Hub’s that have been set up. Face-to-face appointments are subject to normal charges – starting from £22.70 for Band 1 treatment with the usual exemptions.  

If you are shielding or self-isolating (due to being over 70, pregnant or vulnerable through a long-term condition) and need to be urgently seen for a dental treatment the dentist will discuss options available which may mean you will be referred to one of the Urgent Dental Care Hubs.  

he Urgent Dental Care Hubs can utilise the NHS Volunteer Responder scheme to support people who need help in getting to one of the hubs.  


The hubs allow appropriate separation and treatment of patients who may have COVID-19 symptoms or those living in their household, patients who are shielded and at most significant risk from COVID-19, those who are vulnerable and other people who do not fit into one of these categories. 

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information